WhatsApp Messenger is a proprietary, cross-platform instant messaging subscription service for smartphones and selected feature phones that uses the Internet for communication. In addition to text messaging, users can send each other images, video, and audio media messages as well as their location using integrated mapping features. Users can create messaging groups to service.
- Standard Contractual Clauses are used in data transfer for EU-area to USA
- Applicable law: EU district law and EU member states law, otherwise Ireland or USA
Evaluation (2 Feb 201711 December 2018)
- Free "SMS", phone calls and video calls
- Easy to use, support for many different platforms
- Encrypted end-to-end traffic, NOTE! Do not send confidential messages with WhatsApp
- Advertisement free
- In re-registration of phone number, it is possible to use two-factor verification(pin)
- Service stores your contacts(also others in addition to WhatsApp contacts)
- Service provider is located outside of Finnish Act for Privacy of Electronic Communications
- User account information is shared with Facebook
- According to WhatsApp, messages are not saved to their servers(unless recipient is not reached. After message is transferred, it is removed from server or at least after 30 days).
- User gives consent to process data thru settings in WhatsApp-app(for example location)
- When deleting WhatsApp account, it must be done with app-in delete my account feature. Otherwise phone number will remain in WhatsApp-service. Removing WhatsApp-app from phone is not enough.
- You logon to service with your cellular phone number. Under registration process an activation code is sent. Application is then activated with that code.
- Under EU/ETA district WhatsApp Ireland Limited (part of Facebook Companies)
- iMessage, Facebook Messenger